Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Girl in a Whirl


Look at me, look at me, look at me now! I study the scriptures one hour each day; I bake, I upholster, I scrub, and I pray.
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly. I help in their classrooms! I sew all they wear! I drive them to practice! I cut all their hair! I play the piano! I bless with my talents! My toilets all sparkle! My checkbooks all balance! I attend all my meetings (on time! Never late!) I’m taking a class on the teachings of Paul, I track my bad habits ’til each is abolished; But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all.

Our t-shirts are ironed! My toenails are polished!
I do genealogy faithfully, too. It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early, refreshed and awake;
I read to my children! I help all my neighbors!
I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all.

I write in my journal! I sing in the choir!
Each day, I write “thank you’s” to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!
My kids get straight A’s! And their bedrooms are clean!
I have a home business to help make some money;
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I change the car’s tires! I fix the sink’s leak!

I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread;
I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.
My shopping for Christmas is done by July!
These things are not hard; It’s good if you do them;
You can if you try! Just set goals and pursue them!
It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!

"It’s easy!" she said…and then... she dropped dead.

23 comments:

Jaime said...

LOL...I love it!! So true, if we did all these things I'm afraid we would drop dead!

Jan the crazy lady said...

That really is a day and the life of many LDS women. I am afraid we all fall into those times in our seasons. I know that I struggle in wanting to do to much, and my health suffers first thing. I think you were inspired today to send this to me. Thanks :) I really appreciated that. Great poem. Exhausting but great :)

Tink said...

Now ain't THAT the truth! You hit too close to home, my dear! And we wonder why we're stressed! Ha.

Darlene said...

Love it!!! I hope you are doing well. Have a wonderful day.
Smiles,
Darlene

Angela said...

I loved the poem! I wish I could be better and do some things on that list, it helps you to set goals and do better in your life. Yes, I would like to meet a perfect person like that too :)

Shauna Harker said...

I'm glad the message was "don't do all of that"....at least not in one "season"...because I was getting an anxiety attack reading it!!!

Sheila Dalley said...

Thank You! That made me smile on a day I really needed it :)

Jenny said...

Oh yeah! That is so the way it is!!

Teri said...

HA HA! You decided to post that poem. Loved it when you first read it to me and loved it today! Love you too...Have a super day.

gab said...

Great poem! I gave up trying long long ago...

Moody said...

I think I did one of those...yeah, the toenails polished - that's done! Woo hoo! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll look forward to checking yours out more.

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Sometimes it feels like that, huh!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice email. Please feel free to visit again. I love comments!

Have an awesome day!

Emma said...

Hi Shauna!

Thanks so much for your kind words about my blog. Your blog is so cute! :o) And the poem is definitely adorable; I have felt like that many, many times!

Aubrey said...

Too funny. But, I thought that's how we're all supposed to be?! ;)
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Christie said...

My mom gives motivational talks to LDS women in our area and has one about Patti Perfect. Thanks for the reminder to be ourselves and not try to live up to some 'ideal' that is really just fiction.

Also, liked your entry with you hugging your dog. I love my dog too. Family comes first, but my dog is a close second. (Is that a sin?) JK

brandi said...

I have always loved this poem. A good reminder that it is ok not to do all this, (or even most.) I sure do wish there were time to try though! I would love to do it all. Life is short!

Claire said...

I think I would have dropped dead after the baking..! Instead, I'm planning on building a robot that looks like me, and can do all of those things that are listed in your poem. Naturally, I would take all the credit and be held up as the ultimate example, and would be featured constantly in the Ensign. ;) Of course, the real me would be sitting on the sofa, eating biscuits..

The Barnharts said...

I have been looking for this poem! Thank you for sharing it and for your comment- I hope you don't mind but I'm going to add you to my blog list.
Thanks!
Ashley

Daisy Paige said...

Hi Shauna - thanks for stopping by my blog. This poem is absolutely hilarious! I'm going to copy and send it on to all the 'super-moms' I know.

Calluna Vulgaris said...

I love this! Someone read this in church not too long ago. It's a good thing to have around when life gets overwhelming!

Tanna said...

Soo very true. Thanks for the poem.

Shar said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Funny this on your blog... A lady in my home ward totally wrote this poem. Her name is Vicki Gunther and she has 10 kids. 10 KIDS! Ack. I thought she would have dropped dead like, 7 years ago!

the boyd family said...

oh that's great! that is SO true... great blog, i love to have a new friend :)